Whether you are expecting company or someone just drops in, it is always important to have fast treats on hand to offer guests. I recently started baking some treats that freeze well so I always have something on hand, especially with babies on the way. One of my favourite things to keep in the freezer is banana bread.
Banana bread has a couple benefits. First, it is a great way to use up over ripe bananas that you forgot about on your counter for the past week. Second, it freezes well, and defrosts quickly when needed. Third, most of the ingredients needed to make banana bread are usually on hand in your baking cupboard or pantry. Fourth, it is a simple mix and bake recipe with no fuss whatsoever. Banana bread is great to make in bulk and freeze for a later date. To keep your banana bread fresh review the freezing and defrosting tips below:
Tips for Freezing Breads:
- Allow the bread to fully cool before freezing to avoid condensation and reduce freezer burn.
- Once cool, wrap bread in aluminum foil securely, and then wrap again in plastic wrap tightly. This helps to ensure that the cold air in the freezer does not get at the bread causing hardening and freezer burn
- Best way to defrost is to leave out at room temperature with wrapping removed or if you have more time leave in fridge and defrost overnight. This helps to maintain the breads freshness.
Below is my super simple banana bread recipe:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of butter (softened)
4 ripe bananas
2 cups of flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt
(Optional) 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Put sugar and butter is mixing bowl, and mix thoroughly. (I love using my electric stand mixer for this as it makes the process quick and easy – use paddle attachment)
- Add eggs and bananas, and mix thoroughly until bananas are thoroughly mixed in and crushed.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and continue to mix.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (You can
- Grease a loaf pan instead if you prefer, I find parchment paper ensures it never sticks to the pan and easy clean up)
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour ensuring loaf is fully cooked in middle testing with a toothpick.
Hope you enjoy!!
What are your favourite freezer treats?